Founded in about 1000 as Abodesbury by the priest Bertulfus,
with the ancient abbey built by Orc of the house of Canute.
Mostly destroyed in the Civil War, there remains today a large barn,
walls and a gatehouse as relics of the Benedictine establishment.
Founded in 888 by Alfred as a Benedictine nunnery, with his daughter Ethelgiva in charge,
it acquired extensive land and became very wealthy.
The remains of Edward the Martyr were removed from Wareham to here.
Now only foundations and a few fragments of wall survive.