Legend has it that St. Augustine and his Benedictine monks came to Cerne in 597, a spring near the abbey is known as the well of St. Augustine. The abbey, of Saxon foundation (987), lies largely in ruins except for the guesthouse, the gatehouse and the 15th century tithe barn.
left Walter Tyndale's 1900 painting

1907 photograph of the gateway right