A nice Georgian town despite the large Tesco on the edge of the water-meadows. Known as Shottsford Forum in Hardy, it just about survived a bad fire in 1731 when all but 40 buildings were destroyed. See this page for a complete copy of the 1732 Act of Parliament for the rebuilding of the town.

It is today one of the main towns of North Dorset and apart from the vehicles in this early 20th-century photo, looks very similar now.

See also the Blandford page in the Dorsetshire archive, for some lovely old views.


Jan Jansson, c.1650
Robert Morden, c.1695

John Cary (c.1790)

R. Creighton (c.1830)


Bartholomew 1935

View Larger Map Modern Blandford
For more old maps please see the maps page
for more Domesday Book see the Domesday page