Domesday Book, Buckland (Newton) entry, owned by
the Church of St. Mary of Glastonbury

English translation of Domesday Book, Buckland entry (1815 copy)
For clarification, see Latin abbreviations.
The above (Exon) Domesday entry for Buckland (Newton) is (for convenience) as follows:
The Church itself holds Bocheland (Buckland). In King Edward's time it was taxed for fifteen hides. There is land to twenty-four ploughs. Besides this there is in the demesne, land to eight ploughs, which was never taxed. There are four ploughs in the demesne, and four bondmen and twenty-two villanes and twenty-two bordars, and twenty-two cottagers with eight ploughs. There are twenty acres of meadow. Pasture two miles long, and half a mile broad; and the same of wood. Of the land of this manor the wife of Hugh holds of the Abbot seven hides and one virgate of land and a half; and Warmund two hides. There are three ploughs in the demesne, and four bondmen; and three villanes and seven bordars with one plough; and three acres of meaadow; and wood two quarantens long, and one quaranten broad. The demesne of the Church is worth twenty pounds; that of the vassals, six pounds and ten shillings.
The old administrative area of Buckland hundred took its name from the village. See the hundreds page for more details.
Robert Morden, c.1695



R. Creighton (c.1830)
Jan Jansson, c.1650



Bartholomew 1935
This is a complete list from the late 19th century of the roads, lanes ,mills, fields, fords, woods, hamlets and farms, hills and valleys.
Click for larger versions.
Link to Modern Buckland Newton(www.multimap.co.uk) For more old maps please see the maps page; for more Domesday Book see the Domesday page.