Domesday Book, Okeford entry. Owned by the Church of St. Mary of Glastonbury

English translation of Okeford Fitzpaine (formerly Fippenny Okeford) entry (1819 copy)
For clarification, see Latin abbreviations.
The above (Exon) Domesday entry for Okeford is (for convenience) as follows:
The church itself holds Adford (Ockford Fitzpaine), and Knights hold of it. Four Thanes held it in King Edward's time, and it was taxed for eight hides. There is land to sixteen ploughs. There are four ploughs in the demesne, and ten bondmen; and fifteen villanes and fifteen bordars with seven ploughs. A mill pays five shillings; and there are twenty-one acres of meadow. Pasture six quarantens long, and three quarantens broad. Wood nine quarantens long, and six quarantens broad. It was, and is, worth twelve pounds. The wife of Hugh has four hides; Alureed, two hides; Chetel, two hides.

Okeford lies in the Pimperne hundred. See the hundreds page for more details.

Jan Jansson, c.1650
Robert Morden, c.1695

R. Creighton (c.1830)

Bartholomew 1935
Link to Modern Okeford (www.multimap.co.uk)
For more old maps please see the maps page; for more Domesday Book see the Domesday page.