1850 1950
in 2003 --- larger

Domesday Book, (Sturminster) Newton entry

English translation of Newton entry (1819 copy)
For clarification, see Latin abbreviations.
The above (Exon) Domesday entry for (Sturminster) Newton is (for convenience) as follows:
The church of St. Mary of Glastonbury holds Newentone (Newton). In King Edward's time, it was taxed for twenty-two hides. There is land to thirty-five ploughs. Besides this land there are fourteen carucates in the demesne there which were never taxed. There are twenty-one villanes and eighteen bordars and ten cottagers there; and thirteen coliberts and fifteen bondmen. Three mills pay forty shillings; and there are sixty-six acres of meadow. Wood two miles and a half long, and one mile broad. It was worth thirty pounds; now twenty-five pounds. Of the land of this manor Waleran holds six hides; Roger, one hide; Chetel, one hide. These eight hides may be tilled with eleven ploughs. They are worth seven pounds. Of the same land, Goscelm, the cook, holds four hides of the King. He has two ploughs there, and two bondmen; and five villanes and six bordars with four ploughs; and a mill which pays three shillings and nine pence; and there are sixteen acres of meadow. Wood half a mile long and one quaranten broad. It was, and is, worth four pounds.

Since boundaries of ancient hundreds (administrative areas) frequently were major rivers, the Stour being no exception, there are several hundreds associated with the area covered by modern Sturminster Newton. They are Red Lane, Whitechurch, Pimperne and Newton. See the hundreds page for more details. Sturminster was in Red Lane hundred.

Jan Jansson, c.1650
Robert Morden, c.1695

John Cary (c.1790)

R. Creighton (c.1830)

Bartholomew 1935

View Larger Map For more old maps please see the maps page
for more Domesday Book see the Domesday page